For those of you that follow me elsewhere, you may have seen plenty of talk of the studio we’ve set up in Cobden Chambers, Nottingham. We’ve kept the details quite vague for some time, so here’s a little look at Karl Studio.
We’re a small group of freelancers and remote practitioners – including digital designers, developers, copywriters and illustrators – working within a friendly, collaborative creative studio, that we’ve named Karl.
Born out of a desire to have a space of our own — a place to work every day with good company and good vibes — a few of us got together and created our own studio. Following impromptu conversations with Greg, Lucie and others, it was clear that we weren’t the only ones looking for something similar. After months of searching for the right space, we took on an attic in Cobden Chambers.
The unit had previously been a retail space and required some serious cleaning up. We had a dedicated kitchen-space, but there was only a sink. We had internet, but it was shared amongst all other units and wasn’t fit for office-use. There was nothing to it but to get to work!
Over the following months, we’ve re-painted the whole place, built our own desks, shelving and worktops and introduced a whole host of plants to turn the retail unit into a warm, light and spacious studio, complete with:
- Workroom, with desks and standing worktop space
- Lounge space with sofa for naps
- Small meeting room area, great for collaborations and client workshops
- Kitchen space
- Fibre-optic internet
- Print room, with A3 scanner printer and retro Risograph printer – great for recreation and side-projects.
- Tunes supplied by Greg Wood and Lucie De Lacy
- Views of Nottingham city centre landmarks and dreamy sunsets
- Constant coffee shipments from a different roastery every 2 weeks, supplied by Laura Borthwick-Clarke
- Growlers of beer from Junkyard
- A thriving community of interesting, talented and creative folk within Cobden Chambers
Karl has become a home from home for it’s residents – this is more than just a desk, it’s your very own studio.
Karl is based in Cobden Chambers, a small courtyard on Pelham Street full of independent retailers and creative businesses. Next door, we have Ideas on Paper and share the courtyard with other talented folk such as Waste Studio and print studio Dizzy Ink, among many others working within Cobden Chambers and Cobden Place.
We’re now coming up to nine months old and still have a long list of plans for the space – so keep an eye as we continue to post more on the space. If you’re interested to know more, or looking for something that’s more than just a hotdesk, don’t be a stranger! Drop us an email or swing by some time.